Wednesday, March 11, 2009

House sitting

Well here I am - house sitting for a friend of mine. 

When she first mentioned she was going away and her regular girl didn't want to babysit her pampered cat, I offered right away. First because I'm nice like that...lol.. and second because I love the cat. She is gorgeous, big and fluffy and I love to cuddle her. It wasn't until I was here a couple days that it occurred to me the cat is likely and expensive Himalayan or Persian

The first day she was timid. She knew me but not my son and his voice kept her away. Of course we couldn't find her in the morning in order to put her in the basement so she wouldn't trigger the alarm. Just try and find a cat that wants to stay hidden! For all you animal lovers, she has tons of food and cushy places to sleep there. Now she climbs right up on my chest in the morning to get lovin' and in my lap at night.

There's a huge adjustment to being at her house - no TV. For me, that's almost a deal breaker. I have the TV on at home for background all the time. The kids watch it and have an x-box. All she has is a DVD hooked up to it, not even a channel that comes in. Needless to say , I've dug into a good trashy book. Luckily, the kids are at their Dad's or I doubt I could do it!

The bed is nice but not my own, shower has different pressure but its still not bad. Likely a water saver one as she's very environmental. I went the first day without a hairdryer as I forgot mine and she took hers to Mexico. Overall though, I'm enjoying my time here. Nice being in a house vs. an apartment. Plus, it's allowing me to get tons of painting done at my place. 

This morning, at one of my clients' house, I was asked if I'd be interested in house sitting for a week in July. Seems their dog just doesn't know anyone else well enough to dog sit her. She had come from an abused and neglected home before they got her so she's very timid. Of course I said yes... first because I'm nice like that...but mostly because I love the dog. I see a trend here....

Even though it's strange being in a different house and there are adjustments to be made, it's very interesting to step into someone else's world for a week. It makes me appreciate my own even more.


1 comment:

  1. Glad your blogging again, I've missed your posts.

    I've never house sitted before, but have had people do it for me in the past. It makes vacation much more enjoyable when you know your pets are being well taken care of.

    ReplyDelete